Saturday, January 22, 2011

Beef Stew

I am not a risk taker. I like to know what I am getting into and if I find something that works then why in the world would I change it. I am especially not a risk taker with food. I will try new recipes and made that one of my goals a couple of years ago. My thought is if it sucks then I don't make it again and I usually only make things that I like the sound of the ingredients. But all that changed today. We have plenty of food in the house the problem is that none of it is fast food. I decided this morning that I wanted to make soup for dinner. Matt found some beef stew in the freezer and so that was the starting point. Of course I searched my cookbooks with no luck for a recipe that I had all the ingredients for so I decided to look on the internet. By this point I am starting to really that most are all based the same so finally as I hit my favorite site for cooking A Year of Slow Cooking I have been following this site for about 2 years. I decided to try something new I just add the ingredients to a recipe and substituted what I had the results were AWESOME! My cockpot ended up not working, it took me 3 hours to check it so I transferred everything to the stove, add another portion of the liquids and heated to medium, reduced to low and simmered for 2 hours. Here is what I used

1.5 lbs stew beef- thawed and sauteed in oil
1 bag of frozen Cauliflower
1 bag of frozen green beans
1 lb of carrots- chopped to small chunks
1/2 cup of chicken stock leftover from Christmas- didn't use this the second time because I was out
1/2 cup of Pinot Wine (red)
2 cups of beef broth made from a cube
1 teaspoon of Worcester sause.

A couple of things I will change next time- no cauliflower and maybe less wine.

We will be having leftovers this week with cornbread!

By the way this may be the only cooking post I ever make but I was excited that something worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment