Friday, July 20, 2012

Grocery Shopping Challenge

I love a good challenge. After several years of reading blogs and even writing. I have seen  a lot different various on grocery challenges such as "feeding a family of four for $100 a week." or "Eating from pantry."   This is my own version, the first of which I have attempted and shared from day one! Feel free to leave a comment and join me!

How I decided on this:  I have slowly been adding to the stockpile since the first of the year, currently most of the cabinets are full. I received in the mail last week 4 coupons for $5 off $25 at Food Lion each one good for one week. I have already spent $312 on groceries this month and really need to take a big chunk out of the grocery budget to help pay some auto expenses. School starts in 4 weeks and prior to that I will have to restock on snacks and other lunch items. I definitely want to use the $5/25 coupons from Food Lion especially since I pass 2 on the way to work and historically they don't have a good coupon policy.   I also realize that I could never do an eat out of the pantry challenge something always seems to come up and we need "x". So after thinking and deliberation I decided on the $35 a week Grocery challenge for the next 4 weeks starting today!

What is my challenge? Spend as close to $20 a week at Food Lion over the next 4 weeks while purchasing items we need or to add to the stockpile based on sales. I am also going to give myself $10 a week to spend at CVS to keep rolling ECB. So that is a total of $35 a week for the next 4 weeks to feed our family of 6.
 I am going to make 2 exceptions or  rule bending items up front. First, I will not be counting my final trip to Costco and/or produce stand to purchase last minute items for Kendall and Zach's Birthday Party. I have already purchased most of the paper product but plan to purchase watermelons and sweet items along with Pizza and drinks to serve.  Second, the rumored Harris Teeter Triple event, if this occurs I will use the CVS budget to purchase items is there are too good of deals to pass up!

Week One Shopping: I stopped at Food Lion after work on Wednesday. I purchased Coffee Filters (a need), 2 12 pack rolls of toilet paper, 1 6 pack of paper towels and 3# of ground beef. I used the 5/25 and 2 $0.75 coupons on the toilet paper. Total spent $20.15, saved 12.50. I also got a catalina coupon for $2 off $10 of the house brand products. My plan is to save this for next week to use to increase my saving.  Success so Far!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment